Birmingham, Alabama VA Medical Center
About the Program
Telephone Prescription Refill Instructions
Prescription refills can be requested 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please use a touch tone phone to call and have your social security number and your Rx number for each medication.
- Enter your refill request in the automated system the day after you receive your medication in the mail.
- Have your social security number (SSN) and your prescription number or bottles available when you dial the automated system.
Birmingham calling area: 205-939-4580Â
Outside Birmingham: 1-888-250-3510
- Enter your SSN followed by the pound sign (#).
- Press 2 for pharmacy prescriptions.
- Press 1 for prescription refills.
- Enter the prescription number (only the number, no letters), then press the pound sign (#).Â Â When instructed, press 1 to enter your prescription number.Â The process must be repeated for each prescription.
Automated Refill Line
- If the system tells you, "system is experiencing technical difficulty," after you have input your prescription number, you have entered the incorrect prescription number. Enter the Rx # on your last bottle received.
- If the system tells you, "this prescription is not refillable," you need to contact the nurse by calling 205-558-7095 or 1-866-487-4243 (outside the Birmingham area).
- If you need further assistance, call the Pharmacy at 205-933-8101 extension 4502, Monday-Friday 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
NOTE: Prescriptions written by private providers cannot be rewritten by VA staff for filling by the BVAMC Pharmacy.
Prescriptions may also be filled online using VA's My HealtheVet program. You will need a user id and password to log in. If you do not have one, you can easily get one by creating your personal profile.
- Outpatient Pharmacy
- 205-933-8101 Ext. 4502
Hours of Operation
- Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm