Birmingham, Alabama VA Health Care System
We've listed some of the ways you can volunteer below. However, if you have special skills to offer, please call us so we can discuss how you can best use your talents to help our patients.
- DAV Transportation Volunteer
- Drive the DAV van to transport Veterans from Community Based Outpatient Clinics in Gadsden, Anniston, and Shoals. To fill this role, you must have a current drivers license, automobile insurance, and pass a physical exam. Hours: varied
- Information Desk Volunteer
- Help patients and visitors with information and clinic locations. Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon, or 12:00 noon - 4:00 p.m.
- Parking Deck Golf Cart Drivers
- Help Veterans in our large parking areas with access to the medical center. To fill this role, you must have a current drivers license, automobile insurance, and pass a physical exam. Hours: varied
- Volunteer Office Assistant
- Help different medical or administrative offices in the medical center. Duties include filing, answering phones, and greeting and directing patients. Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon, or 12:00 noon - 4:00 p.m.
- Volunteer Patient Reminder Caller
- Help make phone calls to remind patients about their scheduled appointments. Open hours.
- Discharge Patient Caller
- Call patients who have been discharged from the medical center. Open hours.
- Patient Escort Volunteers
- Provide assistance with pushing patients in wheelchairs to their scheduled appointments. Open hours.
- Hospitality Beverage Cart
- Deliver beverages to outpatient clinics and waiting areas. Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m., or 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Magazine / Book Cart
- Sort donated magazines and books, and take the cart to designated waiting areas. Open hours.
- More Positions are Available. Contact us for details.